[R-sig-ME] How to assess significance of variance components(Please discard previous e mail... but read this one)

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Fri Nov 16 00:06:21 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Stephane Chantepie wrote:

> The major issue come from the fact that univariate models using
> age-classes show a decrease with VA across age and the random regression
> show an increase with age.

I was going to suggest categorizing age ;), and doing likelihood ratio
tests using pedigreemm.  It _sounds_ like your distributional assumptions
might need checking, or maybe you have no power to estimate these kinds of
models, or you have to centre age.  Does phenotypic variance fall off with
age?  Have you done diagnostic plots for poissonness? What do simple
correlations between different classes of relatives look like?

Just 2c. David.