[R-sig-ME] Question on significancy of terms

Emmanuel Curis curis at pharmacie.univ-paris5.fr
Wed Sep 12 22:19:39 CEST 2012

Hello Leonel,

I think your problem is not specific of GLMM. The (fixed-part) models
a*b = a+b+a:b and b+a:b will lead to similar results, but expressed
with a different set of coefficients.

Assume a and b are two-levels factors (a1,a2 and b1,b2) for sake of
simplicity : the first model will have coefficients
 - associated to a   : for a2
 - associated to   b : for b2
 - associated to a:b : for a2:b2

The second model will have coefficients
 - associated to   b : for b2
 - associated to a:b : for a1:b2 and a2:b2

(you can check this also with the simple lm function, by the way).

So they have the same number of coefficients and, I think, express the
same linear relationship but in a different basis.

So the likelyhood will be the same...

I never tested that with GLMM, but I guess it is the same problem as
with lm and lmer...

Best regards,