[R-sig-ME] Dealing with heteroscedasticity in a GLM/M (Paul Johnson)

Kumiko Fukumura kumiko.fukumura at strath.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 09:55:30 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I'm a psycholinguist, and have only recently started using logit mixed-effects to analyze categorical/binary data.

I was wondering if the issues of heteroscedasticity that have been discussed here also apply to repeated measures designs - where same participants take part in all conditions.

In experimental psycholinguistics, 2 x 2 repeated measures designs are usually favoured, and the interaction between the two factors tends to be one of the main interests of analysis. I've noticed that when the proportion of one of the conditions approaches 0 or 1, we tend to get surprising results for the interactions (something what you do not expect from patterns of means - this may be because we're looking at log-odds).  Also, if the overall mean is close to 0 or 1, coefficient estimates often do not make sense. I guess this is because the variance becomes not equaly when the proportion approaches 0 or 1.

Traditionally, ANOVAs have been the standard analytical tool for proportion data in our area (we normally apply arcsin-transformation on the proportions before submitting them to ANOVAs). But we've been recently encouraged to use mixed-effects mainly because analysing proportions violates the homogeneity of variance assumed by ANOVAs. So I'd like to know if the heterogeneity of variance also affects logit mixed-effects badly (to me, the effect seems more severe with logit mixed effects than with ANOVAs).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

Kumiko

Dr Kumiko Fukumura

School of Psychological Sciences and Health

University of Strathclyde

40 George Street

Glasgow, G1 1 QE

Message: 3