[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm zero-altered

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 19:52:57 CEST 2012

Hi,

To use a ZAP model to test whether there is any zero inflation or
deflation effects you want to hold the parameters constant across the
Poisson and zero-altered part and compare them to a model in which
they vary.

For the random effects this comparison would be random=~colony versus
something more complex (idh(trait):colony or us(trait):colony). For
the fixed effects you want to compare ~1 versus ~trait and
percent.grass2 versus trait:percent.grass2 etc.

  For the overdispersion term MCMCglmm will not allow you to have the
same "residual" for both parts, but ~trait:units allows the
"residuals" for both parts to have the same distribution (although
information regarding its variance only comes from the Poisson part).
I believe this still allows valid testing of whether there is any
zero-alteration or not (but as always, could be wrong). In the
trait:units model you do NOT want to fix the variance: in your second
prior you had fix=2 despite estimating a single variance(V=diag(1)) so
it was probably ignored anyway.  I thought I had implemented MCMCglmm
so it would generate an error if fix>nrow(V) - did you not get this?

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting "Brickhill, Daisy" <r01db11 at abdn.ac.uk> on Tue, 31 Jul 2012
16:18:50 +0100:

> Hi,
> I am currently modelling the effect of different habitat variables
> on the numbers of tipulid larvae found in soil cores using MCMCglmm.
> The data is slightly zero inflated so I am trying a zero-altered
> model (among others). I have used the following priors and model:
>
> prior1ZA = list(R = list(V=diag(2), n=0.002, fix=2), G = list(G1 =
> list(V=diag(2), n=0.002)))
>
> model1ZA <- MCMCglmm(no._tips ~trait*(percent.grass2 + mean.veg.ht +
> mean.soil.moisture + juldate + year),random = ~
> idh(trait):colony,rcov = ~ idh(trait):units,
> family = "zapoisson", data = data, prior = prior1ZA, burnin = 3000,
> nitt = 1003000, thin=1000)
>

> However I have read in a previous post by the immensely helpful
> Jarrod Hadfield that "It is usual in zero-altered models to have the
> zero bit and the truncated poisson bit have the same
> over-dispersion. You do this by fitting the  interaction
> rcov=~traits:units."
>
> I thought that ensuring the poisson and the zero process have the
> same over-dispersion would require priors and model of the form:
>
> prior1ZA = list(R = list(V=diag(1), n=0.002, fix=2), G = list(G1 =
> list(V=diag(1), n=0.002)))
>
> model1ZA <- MCMCglmm(no._tips ~trait*(percent.grass2 + mean.veg.ht +
> mean.soil.moisture + juldate + year),random = ~ trait:colony, rcov =
> ~ trait:units,
> family = "zapoisson", data = data, prior = prior1ZA, burnin = 3000,
> nitt = 1003000, thin=1000)
>

> But looking at other posts I am beginning to think I am missing
> something and that I *can* use my priors and model (with different
> variances for the zero and poisson parts of the model). Is this
> true? Can anyone tell me which of the two residual variance and
> random effect structures is most advisable?
>
> Many thanks,
> Daisy
>

> The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.