[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm: priors for ordinal regression

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 15:20:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

If the prior variance on your fixed effects is V+1 where V is the sum
of the variance components (including the residual) then the marginal
prior on the fixed effects is as flat as possible on the probability
interval (0,1). However, you have to set up the contrasts correctly.

If you still get numerical problems I'm afraid you will have to find
another way of doing the analysis. I have no solution, and no one has
suggested any:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2012q1/017976.html

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting "m.fenati at libero.it" <m.fenati at libero.it> on Mon, 9 Jul 2012
12:44:59 +0200 (CEST):

> Dear Jarrod,
> thank you for your fast answer.
> Yes, I had converegence (presence of trend of the time series).
> Unfortunately,
> I have ordinal data with near complete separation.
> My aim is to set a poorly informative or uninformative priors for
> fixed effect
> in order to improve the chain convergence. Then I set
> piorB=list(mu=c(rep(0,6)),
> V=diag(6)*(100)). The choice of V=100 is not based on other logical or
> numerical reasons.
> I try to display the posterior distribution of latent variable (pl=T), but I
> had a wide range of -25 + 25.....
> How can I do? Could you help me to choose the right prior?
>
> Thank in advance
>
> Massimo

>>> priorMB<-1:1000
>>> for(i in 1:1000){
>>>   priorMB[i]<-mean(pnorm(priorB[i]+rnorm(1000,0,sqrt(100))))
>>>    }
>>> hist(priorMB)
>>>

>>> The model converge well but I've some dobts. Is it correct or not?
>>>

>>> Thank you very much for any suggestions or comments.
>>>

>>> Best regards
>>>

>>> Massimo
>>> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.