[R-sig-ME] extracting random effect stddev from glmer

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon May 14 01:56:45 CEST 2012

Hi Kathryn,

If you do:

str(VarCorr(pf1))

you will see that it is a list because you have multiple random
effects.  attr(obj, "stddev") only works for the specific elements of
the list which have attributes.  The overall list does not (okay, it
does, but not that one).

attr(VarCorr(pf1)$vblock, "stddev")

should work.

Alternately, something like:

sqrt(unlist(VarCorr(pf1)))

may work, to unlist the list (for your case I think it may return a
vector, but maybe something more complex if the elements had more than
one number in each).  Then the square root of the variances is your
standard deviation.

Cheers,

Josh