[R-sig-ME] Multivariate Multilevel Mixed-Effects Model

Tom_Philippi at nps.gov Tom_Philippi at nps.gov
Fri Apr 13 17:45:24 CEST 2012

Eiko--

If you have a strong understanding of mixed models and are asking about
tools for fitting mixed models with multivariate responses, Rob Crouchley's
sabreR package may be the tool you need.  There's also a book: Berridge &
Crouchley 2011 Multivariate generalized linear mixed models using R, which
uses mostly social science examples, and has a companion website at:
http://sabre.lancs.ac.uk/.  From my experience, the R coding for this
approach is much less of a hurdle than actually understanding the models
and techniques and applying the methods to my questions, but that's for
ecological applications, and your mileage may vary if you have a better
background.

Tom 2

Tom Philippi, Ph.D.
Quantitative Ecologist
Inventory and Monitoring Program
National Park Service
c/o Cabrillo National Monument
1800 Cabrillo Memorial Dr
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 523-4576
Tom_philippi at NPS.gov
http://science.nature.nps.gov/im/monitor

             Malcolm
             Fairbrother
             <m.fairbrother at br                                          To
             istol.ac.uk>              torvon at gmail.com
             r-sig-mixed-model         r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org
             s-bounces at r-proje                                     Subject
             ct.org                    Re: [R-sig-ME] Multivariate
                                       Multilevel Mixed-Effects Model

             04/13/2012 12:43
             PM CET

Dear Eiko,

You can certainly conduct this analysis in R, though some aspects of what
you want to do are not simple. You might do best to start with some general
reading/self-study re. mixed/multilevel models (natural scientists and
statisticians tend to refer to "mixed" models, social scientists to
"multilevel" or "random effects" or "hierarchical linear" models).
Alternatively, if your uncertainty is less about such models generally than
about R as a specific tool/software environment, the suggestions below may
get you started, and http://glmm.wikidot.com/ may be a good resource as
well (even though it's aimed at biological scientists).

R packages that may be useful to you are lme4, MCMCglmm, and nlme--the
latter because it would allow you to check for temporal autocorrelation,
which may be a concern particularly if your measurement occasions are close
together in time. There are helpful coursenotes and worked examples for the
first two packages on the web, and for nlme the best resource to start with
would probably be the book "Mixed Effects Models in S and S-Plus", by
Pinheiro and Bates.

There are ways of modelling multiple outcomes simultaneously (see the
MCMCglmm documentation on Multi-response models at
http://cran.md.tsukuba.ac.jp/web/packages/MCMCglmm/vignettes/CourseNotes.pdf
), but nine is a lot. Perhaps an exploratory factor analysis could help you
reduce the nine items to a smaller and more manageable number? There are
also techniques common in psychology that may be appropriate for what you
want, though I am less familiar with those (see e.g.,
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v20/a02/paper).

Hope that's useful.
- Malcolm