[R-sig-ME] Multivariate Multilevel Mixed-Effects Model

Malcolm Fairbrother m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 13:43:09 CEST 2012

Dear Eiko,

You can certainly conduct this analysis in R, though some aspects of what you want to do are not simple. You might do best to start with some general reading/self-study re. mixed/multilevel models (natural scientists and statisticians tend to refer to "mixed" models, social scientists to "multilevel" or "random effects" or "hierarchical linear" models). Alternatively, if your uncertainty is less about such models generally than about R as a specific tool/software environment, the suggestions below may get you started, and http://glmm.wikidot.com/ may be a good resource as well (even though it's aimed at biological scientists).

R packages that may be useful to you are lme4, MCMCglmm, and nlme--the latter because it would allow you to check for temporal autocorrelation, which may be a concern particularly if your measurement occasions are close together in time. There are helpful coursenotes and worked examples for the first two packages on the web, and for nlme the best resource to start with would probably be the book "Mixed Effects Models in S and S-Plus", by Pinheiro and Bates.

There are ways of modelling multiple outcomes simultaneously (see the MCMCglmm documentation on Multi-response models at http://cran.md.tsukuba.ac.jp/web/packages/MCMCglmm/vignettes/CourseNotes.pdf), but nine is a lot. Perhaps an exploratory factor analysis could help you reduce the nine items to a smaller and more manageable number? There are also techniques common in psychology that may be appropriate for what you want, though I am less familiar with those (see e.g., http://www.jstatsoft.org/v20/a02/paper).

Hope that's useful.
- Malcolm