[R-sig-ME] Dispersion parameter negbin1 in glmmADMB

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:36:05 CEST 2012

Dean Castillo <dmcastil at ...> writes:

> HI Hanna,
>
> It may be very well that GLM and glmm ADMB calculate the
> overdispersion parameter in a different way, but the quasipoisson and
> negative binomial are not the same.
> Quasipoisson uses a mean regression function (like normal poisson) but
> leaves the overdispersion parameter unrestricted. Negative binomial
> can be represented as a gamma mixture of poisson distributions.

  Yes, but: the negative binomial 'type I', which is fitted here,
is parameterized so that it has the same expected mean-variance
relationship as the quasi-Poisson model, variance=phi*mean.

  Using GLM/quasi-Poisson fits the parameters by iteratively
reweighted least squares (IRLS), then calculates the dispersion
parameter according to

sum(residuals(g2,"pearson")^2)/df.residual(g2)

  Using glmmADMB with type="nbinom1" does a maximum-likelihood
fit to a full model using the aforementioned distribution.
I'm slightly but not terribly surprised that the results are
as different as they are.  I believe (but can't prove right now)
that the max. likelihood and IRLS estimates are the same as long
as you stay in the exponential family, but I think nbinom1 is
*not* in the exponential family.

  Also, when I run glmmADMB I get warning about

Estimated covariance matrix may not be positive definite

which suggests the possibility that glmmADMB might have
gotten stuck at not-quite-the-optimum value.