[R-sig-ME] Dispersion parameter negbin1 in glmmADMB

Dean Castillo dmcastil at umail.iu.edu
Wed Mar 28 13:02:41 CEST 2012

HI Hanna,

It may be very well that GLM and glmm ADMB calculate the
overdispersion parameter in a different way, but the quasipoisson and
negative binomial are not the same.
Quasipoisson uses a mean regression function (like normal poisson) but
leaves the overdispersion parameter unrestricted. Negative binomial
can be represented as a gamma mixture of poisson distributions.

The pscl package has some documentation explaining different types of
count models. It is called: "Regression models for count data in R".
It is useful to help understand count models.

Dean