[R-sig-ME] error message using glmmadmb

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:25:08 CET 2012

On 12-03-05 06:00 AM, RH Gibson, School Biological Sciences wrote:
> Updated to latest version and now having new problems:
>
> m3<-
> glmmadmb(x~nsn*Insect.type+ara*Insect.type+rap*Insect.type+fsize+offset(logTotal.grains)+(1|Site),data=data1,
> zeroInflation=TRUE, family="binomial")
> Error in glmmadmb(x ~ nsn * Insect.type + ara * Insect.type + rap *
> Insect.type +  :
>  The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file)
> In addition: Warning message:
> running command 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c "C:/Program
> Files/R/R-2.14.2/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows32/glmmadmb.exe" -maxfn 500
> -maxph 5 -noinit -shess' had status 1

  This now means that the optimization failed for some reason.
  There are many reasons this can happen, mostly having to do with
too-sparse or unusual data.  Without knowing anything about your data,
the one thing that pops out is you are using a binomial family with
zeroInflation=TRUE.  If your response is a matrix of successes and
failures, that's unusual but plausible; if your response is a single 0/1
vector, then it doesn't make sense to use zero-inflation.  (If your
response is anything else it's odd too, although that probably would
have been caught earlier.)
  Try working through the troubleshooting steps under ?admbControl (and
running with verbose=TRUE to see exactly what AD Model Builder reports
as the problem).

  Ben Bolker