[R-sig-ME] lmer model for repeated measure in RCB design

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:58:57 CET 2012

  [cc'ing back to r-sig-mixed-models]

On 12-01-11 03:47 PM, Schreiber, Stefan wrote:
> Thanks Ben!
>
> Yes, you are right, n=56. I don't know what happened there ;)
>
> As for the ID, yes it is unique for each observation and identifies
> the sampled genotype in its respective block. The ID is build as
> "Genotype_Block".

  Technically, I would say that ID is not technically unique for each
observation since there are three observations (fall, winter, and
spring) for each ID ... ?  (You confirm this below: "each ID is
replicated three times ...") (By "observation", I mean the smallest
sampling unit -- one row of the data frame, in long format)

> Each genotype was replicated 5 times within each
> block. That way I was able to sample 8 genotypes by only having 5
> blocks. That means I sampled three blocks twice for the respective
> genotype.

  Makes sense.

> Then I measured a physiological response on these genotypes in fall,
> winter and spring, representing different climate conditions. I
> always measured the same IDs over three different conditions (56*3).
> So each ID is replicated three times in my ID column.
>
> Also, I grouped these 7 genotypes into 3 groups since I would rather
> compare the groups within each climatic condition and across the
> climatic conditions instead of all the genotypes.

  That makes perfect sense.

> Since the ID is replicated 3 times, id is nested within genotype,
> correct?
>
> response ~ group*climate + (1|block) + (1|genotype/id)

  This looks reasonable, although since id is *implicitly* nested (i.e.
it contains the genotype info) you should also be able to write it as
(1|genotype) + (1|id) .

   When you run this, lmer should report appropriate numbers of levels
in each group (block=5, genotype=8, genotype:id = 56? or 40? I'm not
sure ...) ... check these values and see that they are as you expect.