[R-sig-ME] Maternal Genetic Effects in MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 22:27:34 CEST 2011

Hi Eryn,

You can now fit  maternal genetic effects by using the ginverse
argument:

  ginverse=list(animal=invA, dam=invA)

invA is the inverse relationship matrix which you can get using
inverseA.

you need to make sure that the dam factor has the same levels as
animal even if they are not represented:

your_data$dam<-factor(your_data$dam, levels=levels(your_data$animal))

Two problems you may have are:

i) slow speed and mixing
ii) it is not yet possible to fit the covariance between maternal
genetic and direct genetic effects

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 11 Oct 2011, at 20:55, Eryn McFarlane wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I hope that you can help me. I would like to use MCMCglmm to
> estimate Maternal Genetic Effects.
> I think that what I want to do is use an A matrix for the maternal
> effects, and I think that I want to do this by linking my "dam"
> random effect to the pedigree somehow.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to do this that is already
> written into MCMCglmm? I have not seen anything previously in the
> list about this, so if it exists else where, then that would be
> excellent as well.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Eryn
>
> Eryn McFarlane
> MSc Candidate
> Department of Integrative Biology
> University of Guelph
> Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.