[R-sig-ME] Is it kosher to use random-intercept estimates as explanatory variables in another model?

Gebregziabher, Mulugeta gebregz at musc.edu
Mon Jun 6 20:12:42 CEST 2011

This looks like the two stage joint modeling approach used in Ye et al (2008) or Gebregziabher et al (2010). The key, I think, is to use some kind of robust variance for the coefficients of the first stage estimated values that are used as covariates in the second stage.

References
Ye W, Lin X, Taylor JMG. Semiparametric modeling of longitudinal measurements and time-to-event data - A two-stage regression calibration approach. Biometrics 2008;64(4):1238-1246.
Gebregziabher M Egede LE, et al (2010) Effect of Trajectories of glycemic control on mortality in type 2 diabetes: A semiparametric joint modeling approach.  Am J Epidemiol. 2010 May 15;171(10):1090-8. Epub 2010 Apr 27

Hope this helps.
Mulugeta