[R-sig-ME] Is it kosher to use random-intercept estimates as explanatory variables in another model?

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:10:37 CEST 2011

The random effects are not independent "observations"; the amount of
shrinkage depends on the model parameters which are estimated from all
the data. So unless there is no shrinkage associated with the random
effects this is not a good idea. It may be better to to think about
including the other variables (plus suitable interaction terms) in the
first model. Alternatively, a structural equation model may be a
better path to pursue.

Reinhold Kliegl