[R-sig-ME] Is it kosher to use random-intercept estimates as explanatory variables in another model?

Christos Hatzis christos.hatzis at nuverabio.com
Mon Jun 6 20:27:23 CEST 2011

She could do this in a single step using a multilevel model that includes
group-level predictors to model part of the variation associated with the
intercept.

Gelman & Hill include a nice example and discussion of the effect that
group-level predictors have on the estimates of observation-level parameters
in Section 12.6 of their book.

-Christos