[R-sig-ME] lmer and p-values (variable selection)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:01:55 CEST 2011

On 11-04-06 06:40 PM, John Maindonald wrote:
> On 07/04/2011, at 7:18 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:

>>> Note that naive likelihood ratio tests of random effects are likely to
>>> be conservative (in the simplest case, true p-values are twice the
>>> nominal value)
>
> Just to be sure what is being said here, Ben, you meant "(in the simplest case,
> true p-values are <<half>> the nominal value)"?

  Yes.   Oops.

  I'm not sure what Doug is saying here though.

  I think this has to do with the "levels of focus" issue.  In the case
of metrics that are trying to minimize prediction error in some sense
(i.e. DIC, AIC), it matters whether you are trying to predict (make
inferences?) at the level of the population ("marginal") or at the level
of the random-effects unit ("conditional").  My understanding is that in
the the marginal case, the appropriate "model degrees of freedom" is
somewhat less than 1 (because of boundary issues); in the conditional
case, the appropriate df is between 1 and q (because of shrinkage).

  (I'm using 'df' in a vague sense of "how much information the fit
takes up" rather than suggesting that some null distribution is actually
t- or F-distributed)