[R-sig-ME] Why BLUP may not be a good thing

Murray Jorgensen maj at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Apr 6 23:59:36 CEST 2011

I could be wrong-headed but it seems to me that in a GLMM context BLUP
falls into a class of procedures that has been found to have bad
properties in a missing-data (EM) context. See

@ARTICLE{lr83,
   author  = {Little, R. J. A. and Rubin, D. B.},
   title   = {On jointly estimating parameters and
missing data by maximizing the complete data likelihood},
   journal = {Amer. Statist.},
   volume  = {37},
   number  = {},
   pages   = {218-220},
   year    = {1983}
}

whose abstract follows:

One approach to handling incomplete data occasionally encountered in the
literature is to treat the missing data as parameters and to maximize
the complete-data likelihood over the missing data and parameters. This
article points out that although this approach can be useful in
particular problems, it is not a generally reliable approach to the
analysis of incomplete data. In particular, it does not share the
optimal properties of maximum likelihood estimation, except under the
trivial asymptotics in which the proportion of missing data goes to zero
as the sample size increases.

In the GLMM context we have the article

Maximum Likelihood Algorithms for Generalized Linear Mixed Models
Charles E. McCulloch Journal of the American Statistical Association,
Vol. 92, No. 437 (Mar., 1997), pp. 162-170

McCulloch calls BLUP-like algorithms "joint maximization" methods and
finds that they have poor properties, as we might expect from the
Little-Rubin article.

It may be that BLUP is one of those things that looses good properties
when shifted from a linear to non-linear context.

On the other hand it's also possible that I have completely
misunderstood what people mean by BLUP in a GLMM context, in which case
I'd like to be helped out of my confusion!

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand