[R-sig-ME] lmer and p-values (variable selection)

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 00:40:29 CEST 2011

On 07/04/2011, at 7:18 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/28/2011 06:15 PM, John Maindonald wrote:
>>
>>> Elimination of a term with a p-value greater than say 0.15 or 0.2 is
>>> however likely to make little differences to estimates of other terms
>>> in the model.  Thus, it may be a reasonable way to proceed.  For
>>> this purpose, an anti-conservative (smaller than it should be)
>>> p-value will usually serve the purpose.
>>
>> Note that naive likelihood ratio tests of random effects are likely to
>> be conservative (in the simplest case, true p-values are twice the
>> nominal value)

Just to be sure what is being said here, Ben, you meant "(in the simplest case,
true p-values are <<half>> the nominal value)"?

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm