[R-sig-ME] variance-covariance matrix of the estimations of the variance-covariance matrix of the random effects

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 14 16:04:34 CET 2011

Variances and covariances of estimators of variance components are
usually of little value because the distribution of the estimators are
often highly skewed.  See the notes at
http://lme4.R-forge.R-project.org/slides/2011-01-11-Madison/3ProfilingH.pdf
for illustration of such cases.  Notice Figure 4 in particular.

In theory you could evaluate the information matrix for the profiled
deviance and use the "delta method" to determine an information matrix
for the variance-covariance parameters but it would take considerable
effort and probably not produce useful information.