[R-sig-ME] variance-covariance matrix of the estimations of the variance-covariance matrix of the random effects

Resche Rigon Matthieu matthieu.resche-rigon at paris7.jussieu.fr
Thu Jan 13 22:51:45 CET 2011

Dear all,

I try to obtain the variance-covariance matrix of the estimations of
the variance covariance matrix of the random effects. I know how
obtain it using lme but I would like to obtain it with lmer(). Is it
possible?

Moreover do you know which formula is applied by ranef() to extract
the conditional modes and the conditional variance-covariance
  matrix of the random effects?

Thanks in advance

Matthieu