[R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 16 00:13:45 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM, John Maindonald
<john.maindonald at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> This is odd. Around June 27, I installed version lme4_0.999375-34
> from R-forge, using:
>
> install.packages("lme4", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

I believe it was the absence of an Mac OS X binary package on CRAN,
not on R-forge, that others were commenting on.  If you check on the
main CRAN site

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/

(or on the equivalent page from your local mirror) you will see that
the source and Windows packages are available but not the Mac OS X
package as it reports errors in one of the package tests.

The place where the error is reported is curious because two models
are being compared and they differ only in whether the implicit
intercept or an explicit intercept is used in the formula.  So once
the model matrices and internal representations have been established,
the models should be identical yet somehow they are producing
discernibly different answers.  It is always possible that there is
something happening much earlier in the tests that corrupted memory
but without access to a system displaying the error I am a bit of a
loss as to how we can proceed.

Perhaps Martin or I can sit down with someone who has a Mac laptop
with the necessary build tools at useR!2010 next week and see if we
can find out what is going on.

The report of the test failure is at
http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/lme4-00check.html

Interestingly Marc Otto was able to build and test the experimental
version, lme4a, on Mac OS X today and it has the same test but did not
trip up on it.