[R-sig-ME] Failure to load lme4 on Mac

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 15 23:53:38 CEST 2010

This is odd. Around June 27, I installed version lme4_0.999375-34
from R-forge, using:

install.packages("lme4", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

I checked a moment ago, and this still works:

> install.packages("lme4", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.11/lme4_0.999375-34.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1281413 bytes (1.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 1.2 Mb

I have been happily using it.

I do however have another Mac that I am keeping for my sister,
and on which I have installed R-2.11.1.  When I try the same command
there, I get:

"
Warning: unable to access index for repository index http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.11
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, available, lib) :
  package 'lme4' is not available.
"

This other R installation is not as fully configured as my main R machine.

For what it is worth (nothing that I can see), here are the two sessionInfo's

Main Machine:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

[1] Matrix_0.999375-41 grid_2.11.1        lattice_0.18-8     lme4_0.999375-34
[5] nlme_3.1-96        stats4_2.11.1
Warning message:
'DESCRIPTION' file has 'Encoding' field and re-encoding is not possible

Other machine:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[7] base

[1] tools_2.11.1

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm