[R-sig-ME] Deviance tests and contrasts

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Mon Jun 14 02:19:20 CEST 2010

> David's solution below will give me the main effect of sex, but
> will not tell me whether the sex effect is significant when the interaction
> is in the model.

Perhaps this is teaching one's grandmother how to suck eggs (not that I've
actually ever sucked eggs ;)), but I was always told that it is pretty
hard to interpret _significance_ of a main effect in the presence of an
interaction.  I would think this doubly so in the presence of your random
effects.

Cheers, David.