[R-sig-ME] Deviance tests and contrasts

Adam D. I. Kramer adik at ilovebacon.org
Mon Jun 14 00:21:10 CEST 2010

Dear Kay and David,

 	These models are indeed nested, but they do not test what I am
trying to test. What I am interested in testing is the main effect of sex
when the interaction is in the model. Or, a type-III sum of squares
approach. David's solution below will give me the main effect of sex, but
will not tell me whether the sex effect is significant when the interaction
is in the model.

Thanks,
Adam