[R-sig-ME] Deviance tests and contrasts

Adam D. I. Kramer adik at ilovebacon.org
Mon Jun 14 03:04:54 CEST 2010

Yes, this is true...but it is a failure of my choice of example, rather than
a real solution to the question.  =) I only really brought up the "main
effect in the presence of the interaction" example as an instance of the
broader problem, which is testing the significance of an effect that I can't
remove in order to use anova()...for example, single-df contrasts on a
multi-level variable:

d <- data.frame(favcol=factor(rep(c("red","blue","yellow","purple"),each=50)),
subj=factor(rep(1:20,each=10)), dv=rnorm(200))

lmer(dv ~ favcol + (1|subj), data=d)

...in this example, with default (dummy-coded) contrasts, the "favcolpurple"
effect tests whether purple differs from red, but I can't (easily) subtract
the "favcolpurple" effect and recompute.

The test I want to conduct is, functionally, this one:

d <- cbind(d,t(sapply(d$favcol, function(x) { contrasts(d$favcol)[x,] } )))
l <- lmer(dv ~ purple + red + yellow + (1|subj), data=d)
l0 <- update(l, . ~ . - purple)
anova(l0,l)

...but what I want is a more elegant way to do this for lmer models, as it
seems to me that the "contrasts" system exists for exactly this reason.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Adam