[R-sig-ME] I can still use nlme instead of nlmer/lme4 right?

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Nov 5 15:38:11 CET 2009

Yes and no. There are no particular problems with nlme that would impede you from completing scientific work properly. With that said, lmer is substantially improved from its primative cousins in many ways; primarily it is more capable of estimating models with large data.

You are correct that documentation is thinner than what is available for nlme. But, there is plently of help on this list. I'm quite sure with good questions, you'll find all the support on this list you could possibly need.