[R-sig-ME] I can still use nlme instead of nlmer/lme4 right?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 5 17:06:29 CET 2009

  Respectfully, I would say that's a big "but" in the second paragraph.
 lme4 has enormous potential, and is already much better than nlme for
some things (crossed designs, large data sets, GLMMs), but its edges are
still rough.  Accessor methods are less available/fully
developed/documented, and in particular it's my impression that
nonlinear models have been less thoroughly exercised in lme4 ... Using
lme4 would be a form of contributing back to the community
(beta-testing), but if you're in a hurry my HO would be that sticking
with nlme sounds like a good idea.  (Others should as always feel free
to disagree.)