[R-sig-ME] Beta-binomial distributions with lmer?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 10 20:14:18 CEST 2009

Christine Griffiths wrote:
> Dear Ben and Thierry,
>
> Thank you for the advice. I tried to do both suggested methods, however got
> stumped on Ben's suggestion of logit. Thierry's suggestion did improve the
> variances (e.g. 7.7e-04 to 1.94 for the residual variance) when I used
> quasipoisson family errors. Given that the values aren't discrete I am not
> sure this is correct. Ben you only suggest this method if it leads to
> "stable variance". I have tried searching what is meant by this term, but
> have not found any information. If you could clarify or point me in the
> right direction I would gratefully appreciate the assistance.
>
> Cheers
> Christine

   If you transformed the data in some significant way, then the
residual variances aren't necessarily going to be comparable, so
I'm not sure I would take that as confirmation.

I think Thierry meant to suggest a LMM (i.e., assume normal
distributions, no transformation after the initial one) rather
than a GLMM (link function/exponential-family distribution or
quasi-distribution).

You may find more on "stabilizing variance" rather
than "stable variance" -- what I meant was that the variability in the
Pearson residuals (residuals scaled by the expected standard deviation,
which is what lmer gives you) should be independent of the fitted value
-- so try plot(sqrt(residuals(model)) ~ fitted(model)) and see if the
"amplitude" appears reasonably constant (this is approximately the same
as the "scale-location" plot that plot.lm gives you for a linear model).

> --On 10 June 2009 10:25 -0400 Ben Bolker <bolker at ufl.edu> wrote:
>
>>   Yes, but ...
>>   If the data get "scrunched" near 100% (as well as near zero), then
>> I'm not sure that this procedure would lead to stable variances?
>> (If it does, that's great.) Why not logit((proportion+m)/(1+2*m)) [where
>> m is a small value which can be interpreted as coming from a Bayesian
>> prior, if you like] instead? Once we've done all that, we're getting
>> pretty close to a quasi-binomial model anyway ...  (It sounds like all
>> the N values are the same in this example anyway, so there's no scaling
>> of variance with N to worry about.)
>>
>> ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
>>> Dear Christine,
>>>
>>> We had recently a vivid discussion on whether it is appropriate to model
>>> percentages by a (quasi)binomial model. We were modelling the precentage
>>> of leaves that is missing from trees. The mixed model with the binomial
>>> family had random effects with extremly small variances. My colleague
>>> argued that this percentage did not come from a bernouilli experiment.
>>> And hence the binomial family was not appropriate. He suggested to put
>>> the percentage on a 0 to 100 scale and apply a log(x+1) transformation.
>>> This resulted in a linear mixed model with random effects that had
>>> reasonable variances. This convinced me that the binomial family only
>>> makes sense with binary data.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Thierry

>>> ----
>>> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
>>> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
>>> and Forest
>>> Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
>>> methodology and quality assurance
>>> Gaverstraat 4
>>> 9500 Geraardsbergen
>>> Belgium