[R-sig-ME] Beta-binomial distributions with lmer?

Christine Griffiths Christine.Griffiths at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 17:29:42 CEST 2009

Dear Ben and Thierry,

Thank you for the advice. I tried to do both suggested methods, however got
stumped on Ben's suggestion of logit. Thierry's suggestion did improve the
variances (e.g. 7.7e-04 to 1.94 for the residual variance) when I used
quasipoisson family errors. Given that the values aren't discrete I am not
sure this is correct. Ben you only suggest this method if it leads to
"stable variance". I have tried searching what is meant by this term, but
have not found any information. If you could clarify or point me in the
right direction I would gratefully appreciate the assistance.

Cheers
Christine

Christine Griffiths
School of Biological Sciences