[R-sig-ME] Beta-binomial distributions with lmer?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 10 16:25:23 CEST 2009

  Yes, but ...
  If the data get "scrunched" near 100% (as well as near zero), then
I'm not sure that this procedure would lead to stable variances?
(If it does, that's great.) Why not logit((proportion+m)/(1+2*m)) [where
m is a small value which can be interpreted as coming from a Bayesian
prior, if you like] instead? Once we've done all that, we're getting
pretty close to a quasi-binomial model anyway ...  (It sounds like all
the N values are the same in this example anyway, so there's no scaling
of variance with N to worry about.)