[R-sig-ME] Modelling random effects with SITE, YEAR and SPECIES

CL Pressland Kate.Pressland at bristol.ac.uk
Mon May 11 17:52:46 CEST 2009

Theirry,

thank you for you informative reply. I have had a go at your suggestions
but have been stumped:

--On 07 May 2009 10:16 +0200 "ONKELINX, Thierry" <Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be>
wrote:

> Dear Kate,
>
> Adding SPECIES as a random effect indicates that you want to take the
> effect of SPECIES into account but not need to know the effect of the
> individual SPECIES. If you do want to know that effect then you have to
> add species to fixed effects. Examining the effect of A, B and C on
> species (as a fixed effect) requires interactions between them. The
> model then looks like (A + B + C) * SPECIES + Year + (1|SITE) + (1|YEAR)
> This will only work if you have sufficiend data.

I tried this approach with data I have that is SPECIES recorded as SITES
over YEARS but when I tried A*SPECIES as a fixed factor I received this
error message:

"Error in mer_finalize(ans) : Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 88."

I've searched for what this error means but I cannot understand it.

This was written by Douglas Bates in response to [Re: [R] lme4, error in
mer_finalize(ans)] posted 05 Dec 2008:
"That, admittedly obscure, error message relates to the fixed-effects
specification rt ~ length + length:pos being rank deficient. If you look at
the summary of the linear model fit you will see that there are 3
coefficients that are not determined because of singularities. The lm
function detects the singularities and fits a lower-rank model.  The lmer
function is not as sophisticated. It just detects the singularities and
quits."

I am unsure what this means or how it translates to my data. In my example,
I have 78 "SPECIES" (factor, coded as numbers) and "A" is ordered data 0,
1, 2. The y variable is number/m. You wrote that this would only work is
you had sufficient data - each species is not recorded each time, so is
this reduced data the cause i.e. not enough observations for n?

> Another option is to keep species as a random effect and add random
> slopes according to A, B and C. This will allow a different effect of A,
> B anc C for each species. The model would look like A + B + C + Year +
> (1|SITE) + (1|YEAR) + (A + B + C|SPECIES)

I have tried this way also but I am unsure of the output - it does not give
species specific information and therefore I cannot work out which species
is more affected by A, only if SPECIES as a whole are affected or not by
each category of A. This is not useful to me as I would like to determine,
given the random effects, if A 0, 1, or 2 affect which species in the data
set.

Any thoughts?

Kate

Kate.Pressland at bristol.ac.uk