[R-sig-ME] Modelling random effects with SITE, YEAR and SPECIES

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu May 7 10:16:11 CEST 2009

Dear Kate,

Adding SPECIES as a random effect indicates that you want to take the
effect of SPECIES into account but not need to know the effect of the
individual SPECIES. If you do want to know that effect then you have to
add species to fixed effects. Examining the effect of A, B and C on
species (as a fixed effect) requires interactions between them. The
model then looks like (A + B + C) * SPECIES + Year + (1|SITE) + (1|YEAR)
This will only work if you have sufficiend data.

Another option is to keep species as a random effect and add random
slopes according to A, B and C. This will allow a different effect of A,
B anc C for each species. The model would look like A + B + C + Year +
(1|SITE) + (1|YEAR) + (A + B + C|SPECIES)

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey