[R-sig-ME] Modelling random effects with SITE, YEAR and SPECIES

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue May 12 11:57:30 CEST 2009

Dear Kate,

The error you get with A*SPECIES indicates that you have to few data.
Probabily because not all the combination of A and SPECIES exist in your
dataset. Which was what I feared would happen.

As I meantioned before, adding A as a random slope to the random effect
will give you opnly info on the variability of A between the different
species, but not estimates per species. That's the difference between
random effects and mixed effects.

If the info per species is that important, then I would suggest to build
a model for each species.

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey