[R-sig-ME] logistic model with exponential decay

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 22:03:46 CET 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Stijn Ruiter wrote:

> Hi,
> I have official judicial data on criminal offending (dichotomous dependent
> variable=conviction(=Y)) of all (adult) children of fathers who differ with
> respect to their level of criminal behavior. These data were registered on a
> yearly basis. So, I am able to follow people over the course of their lives
> and model whether they get convicted. I intend to estimate a discrete-time
> logit model on a person-year file. Of course, because children are nested
> within their fathers, I need to take that into account. Furthermore, many
> subjects get convicted more than once during their lives, so I need to
> estimate a repeated events model.
> I have several time-constant variables (e.g., gender) and several
> time-varying variables (e.g., number of years since father committed a
> crime(=T)). I would like to estimate something like this:
>
> logit(Y) ~ alpha + beta1*GENDER + exp(-T/beta2) + ... + error term for
> nesting within fathers + error term for nesting within subject

You also want the person-years at risk as an offset too, don't you?  And
do you have many families, so there are multiple individuals with the same
father?  You may know that the R survival package implements frailty
models that would be applicable, and that the kinship package specifically
offers a Cox proportional hazards model (with gaussian random effects)
that can incorporate two crossed variance components.

Cheers, David Duffy.