[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Re: Wald F tests

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 11 07:09:04 CEST 2008

I think it is going too far to say that one should not be
testing hypotheses (the implication of that "is soooo 20th C"?).
But the place of that activity is much more limited than is
commonly recognized.

Basically, I do not like the range of options that this (half-serious?)
survey has on offer, and I'd need to write half a page or more
to explain why.  Democracy maybe, but (as I suppose is
always the case in the political democracies that are on offer)
the choices are severely constrained.

Where such a hypothesis testing perspective may be
appropriate, the preferred starting point is almost always
a confidence interval.  Why not ask the comparable questions
arise for estimation?

There's an editorial in Volume 72(5) (pp.1057-1058) of the
Journal of Wildlife Management with which I pretty much agree:
"... understand that the average reader of the Journal is
interested in the biological questions addressed with your
work.  The analytical framework and resulting results should
support those questions and flow from them, not overwhelm
them."

But I guess that Ben would like us to assume that the proper
support framework is in place!

Note also, on pages 1272-1278 of the same issue:
"Suggestions for Basic Graph Use When Reporting Wildlife
Research Results", by Brett Collier.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.