[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Re: Wald F tests

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sat Oct 11 23:06:20 CEST 2008

  Yes, this is partly tongue in cheek, and I agree that
hypothesis testing is overemphasized (I suspect that many
of the r-sig-mixed-models regulars would also agree).  Let's
say we want to construct confidence intervals rather than
test null hypotheses.  Then our choices are something like

* construct Z- or t-based confidence intervals from
estimated standard error
* bootstrap confidence intervals
* mcmcsamp confidence intervals

  which correspond to c,d,e below.  I suppose another
choice (corresponding more or less to b, LRT)
would be likelihood profile
confidence intervals, but I would really worry in
this case that the known anticonservatism of LRTs
would translate to profile confidence intervals
with poor coverage.

Most of the difficulties that arise in null-hypothesis testing have
analogues in constructing appropriate confidence intervals.

  cheers
    Ben Bolker