[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Re: Wald F tests

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Fri Oct 10 21:47:51 CEST 2008

  Does anyone out there have opinions on this subject?
How should one test hypotheses about fixed effects in
(G)LMMs, especially for small to moderate sample sizes?
(Please ignore issues of _estimation_ (PQL
vs Laplace vs AGQ vs ...)

  Should it amuse you to do so, you can vote at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=yLyfrV_2ftw6WGx2dEFLWnIw_3d_3d

(since we all know that scientific questions are settled
by a democratic process)

a hypothesis testing is soooo 20th century, don't bother
b likelihood ratio tests [ignore known anticonservatism]
c F tests (LMM) or Wald tests (GLMM) [ignore mismatch with hypothesized
null distributions]
d bootstrapped confidence intervals
e [mcmcsamp confidence intervals -- if available]
f randomization/simulation tests of nested null hypotheses
g AIC comparisons [ignore that prediction != hypothesis testing]

  Note that Wald Z tests [option c] are more or less what you're
doing, implicitly, if you just eyeball the estimated
parameter values and their standard errors.

  cheers
    Ben Bolker