[R-sig-ME] need help with mixed effects model

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:29:25 CET 2008

Doug and other mixed-models aficionados,

I have made some progress on my own on the problem I posted in this
thread. Briefly, I am analyzing a multifactoral genomic experiment and
wish to look at gene-gene correlations independent of Strain. Because
multiple measurements are taken per rat, I wish to use lmer. What seems
to be working is the following.

mod1 <- lmer(gene2 ~ -1 + Strain + (1|Rat) + gene1)
mod2 <- lmer(gene2 ~ -1 + Strain + (1|Rat))
anova.sum <- anova(mod1, mod2)

I look to see if adding the expression of the other gene of interest as
a covariate significantly improves the model, if it does, then I take
that as an indicator of gene-gene correlation/dependence.

I am not doing this, of course for just two genes, but build an
adjacency matrix out of the p-values for all gene-gene interactions in a
list of about 400 sig. genes. I then adjust the p-values for FDR and
pick a suitable FDR (0.001 in this case) as a threshold and create
another adjacency matrix with 1's for significant correlation and 0's
for non-significant. I then visualize this using Rgraphviz.

As I was tearing my hair out trying to make sure this was sensical, it
occurred to me that within my list of 400 genes I have positive
controls. About 40 of the genes are represented by 2 or more probesets,
which should be highly correlated if they are measuring the same thing.
So, I subjected just genes with duplicate probesets to the above
procedure and, sure enough, in an overwhelming number of cases,
probesets from the same gene plot next to each other.

My conclusion from this exercise is that what I am doing is empirically
correct, although I am open to suggestions as to how it could be
improved or comments as to how I may be just plain wrong.

Doug, I am reading your book and appreciate your contributions.

Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com