[R-sig-ME] need help with mixed effects model

Ken Beath kjbeath at kagi.com
Tue Mar 4 01:00:45 CET 2008

On 01/03/2008, at 4:29 AM, Mark W Kimpel wrote:

> Doug and other mixed-models aficionados,
>
> I have made some progress on my own on the problem I posted in this
> thread. Briefly, I am analyzing a multifactoral genomic experiment and
> wish to look at gene-gene correlations independent of Strain. Because
> multiple measurements are taken per rat, I wish to use lmer. What
> seems
> to be working is the following.
>
> mod1 <- lmer(gene2 ~ -1 + Strain + (1|Rat) + gene1)
> mod2 <- lmer(gene2 ~ -1 + Strain + (1|Rat))
> anova.sum <- anova(mod1, mod2)
>
> I look to see if adding the expression of the other gene of interest
> as
> a covariate significantly improves the model, if it does, then I take
> that as an indicator of gene-gene correlation/dependence.

The concern that Doug had is I assume that gene1 and gene2 are both
measured with error, and this type of model assumes that the
covariates are measured without error or for practical purposes much
lower than the error in the dependent variable. Ignoring this problem
biases the coefficients towards zero with consequent loss of power. I
don't have any idea how important this is, it all depends on the error
of your measurements. The usual solution is structural equation
modelling (SEM). This is something I haven't tried, so I have no idea
how easy or how well it will work.

Ken