[R-sig-ME] need help with mixed effects model

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:17:18 CET 2008

Doug,

What I have been persuing over the past 2 days is this model, which is
different from what I posted to BioC and similar to yours except it
includes the second gene:

  mod <- gene2.expression ~ gene1.expression + Strain + (1|Rat))

I understand your concern and I rely on your expertise as to whether
this above model is tenable, but let me clarify and give background to
the question I am exploring.

It is very common in gene expression analysis to perform hierarchical
clustering to see which genes are most closely correlated in regards to
expression over a number of samples. The problem with clustering is that
all genes will cluster somewhere, and it if often hard to make sense of
the result. I wish to assign some level of significance to the
correlation between the expression of two genes, admittedly not
independent of one another. If I just had a bunch of rats under no
experimental conditions and took one sample per rat, I would think it
would be reasonable to apply the Pearson Correlation approach and look
at the p value of the slope.

I, however, have not been presented with such a simple experiment and
recognize that I cannot simply correlate all 36 samples as if they were
independent and came from the same population. In fact the genes that
are most interesting are those that are differentially expressed between
the two strains, and from each rat I have samples from each of 3 brain
regions, which I know from prior work are correlated within rat but
different between brain regions. In fact, it would be nice to be able to
take brain region into account rather than looking it as a random effect
within animal, but I am pretty sure I run out of degrees of freedom if I
do that.

So, it is necessary for me to have both genes in the model to accomplish
what I need to do, and the other factors are, in fact, are there merely
to improve power to detect gene-gene correlation by accounting for the
variance induced by these other factors.

So, is this legit or is there a better approach? Thanks so much for yoru
help.

Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com