[R-meta] About the coefficient in meta-regression analysis

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Tue Dec 19 14:13:59 CET 2023

Dear Nick

Comments in line

On 19/12/2023 11:51, 英文科陳品誠 via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Dear all,
>         This is part of my meta-regression analysis result after I use the
> following code:
>
>> m.gen.edu <- metareg(m.gen, ~edu)
>
>      Model results:
>                                 estimate  .....
> intercept                0.6820   .....
> eduH                      0.4590   ......
> eduI                        -0.0834 ......
> eduK                       0.5668 ........
> eduS                       0.2473   .......
>
>       The *edu *here stands for the moderator "educational level" from my
> dataset and the *eduH, eduI, eduK*, and *eduS* stands for different
> subgroups. Does the 0.4590 here represent the coefficient of the subgroup
> *eduH* ?

In a model with an intercept each level is compared to a reference level
so the value, 0.4590, is the difference estimated between group H and
the reference group.

  And is there a code to get the overall coefficient of the
> moderator "educational level" rather than the individual coefficient of
> each subgroup?

The short answer is "No". You can do a test for the overall effect of
educational level. You could also in a simple model like this remove the
intercept so each coefficient would then be tested for its difference
from zero.

Michael

>   Nick Chen
>
> 陳品誠 (Nick Chen)
> Email: t571 using wlgsh.tp.edu.tw <t5741 using wlgsh.tp.edu.tw>
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Michael