[R-meta] Questions about the use of metaprop for the pooling of proportions

Tue Mar 8 22:58:42 CET 2022

Hi Gerta,

Under homogeneity, we have X_i ~ Binomial(n_i, pi), in which case sum(X_i) ~ Binomial(sum(n_i), pi) and hence

sum(out1)/sum(n)
plogis(coef(glm(out1/n ~ 1, weights = n, family = binomial)))

or using metaprop() / rma.glmm()

plogis(metaprop(out1, n)$TE.fixed)
plogis(coef(rma.glmm(measure="PLO", xi=out1, ni=n, method="EE")))

are all identical. It goes to show how the logistic regression approach gives an 'exact' model, based on the exact distributional properties of binomial counts.

As for Thiago's data: I think this is fine. But essentially he has multinomial data. I recently described in a post how such data could be addressed if one would want to analyze them all simultaneously:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2022-February/003878.html