[R-meta] Questions about the use of metaprop for the pooling of proportions

Dr. Gerta Rücker ruecker @end|ng |rom |mb|@un|-|re|burg@de
Tue Mar 8 20:29:47 CET 2022

Dear Thiago,

I found that, apparently, the result presented by the common effect
model (=fixed effect model) is simply the sum of all entries/events over
all studies, divided by the total sample size (summed up over all
studies). You see this by typing the following after the code in my last
e-mail:

all.equal(sum(out1)/sum(n), plogis(m1$TE.fixed))
all.equal(sum(out2)/sum(n), plogis(m2$TE.fixed))
all.equal(sum(out3)/sum(n), plogis(m3$TE.fixed))

This means that the method is equivalent to considering the data as a
contingency table where the rows correspond to the studies and the
columns to the outcomes. The meta-analytic result corresponds to the
percentages in the column sums, and of course these add to 100%. In fact
this is the easiest way to deal with this kind of data.

@Guido, @Wolfgang: I couldn't find thisinformation on the metaprop or
the rma.glmm help pages. Do you see any problem with interpreting
Thiago's data as a contingency table? I think that, by contrast to
pairwise comparison data, confounding/ecological bias is not an issue here.

Best,

Gerta