[R-meta] Heterogeneity of Multilevel Moderator Analysis

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 17 07:46:12 CEST 2022

Dear Tori,

Purely theoretically (not knowing your data, goals etc.) the
following allows you to differentiate and estimate the random variation in
the true effects across the categories of DISSERTATION at the study and the
effect size levels:

t1 = rma.mv(yi = yi,
             V = vi,
       mods = ~DISSERTATION-1,
         slab = STUDY_ID,
        data = Relationship,
       random = list(~DISSERTATION | STUDY_ID,
~DISSERTATION|EFFECT_SIZE_ID),
        test = "t",
       struct = c("DIAG","DIAG"))

It's nice that metafor allows doing this so complactly using a single model
(but at no more than two levels). For one thing, otherwise, you would have
needed to fit as many models as there are categories in your categorical
variable.

For example, if DISSERTATION, has two categories (yes and no), then the
above compact model will be equivalent to running the following two models:

t2 = rma.mv(yi, vi,
  random = ~1|STUDY_ID/EFFECT_SIZE_ID,
       data = Relationship,
   subset = DISSERTATION == "yes",
       test = "t")

t3 = rma.mv(yi, vi,
  random = ~1|STUDY_ID/EFFECT_SIZE_ID,
       data =  Relationship,
   subset = DISSERTATION == "no",
        test = "t")

For another thing at least in metafor (try the clubSandwich package as this
may or may not be true there), using a single compact model would use the
entire data for the purpose of inferential conclusions which if you use a
t-distribution (which you currently do) for inferential purposes can affect
the p-values and the CIs that you get for your fixed effects from the
compact model versus the separate individual models.

Kind regards,
Reza