[R-meta] Interpreting variance components in rma.mv

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Aug 20 16:31:48 CEST 2022

Hi Yuhang,

Your calculations look correct to me and I think this is a useful aid for
interpreting the results of a multi-level meta-regression. That said, I can
see one potential critique of your calculations. The probabilities you've
calculated treat the model parameter estimates (the average ES and variance
components) as fixed, known values. But of course, they're actually
*estimates* with some degree of uncertainty attached to them. It might be
good to acknowledge this issue by qualifying your statement as "Based on
these model parameter estimates..." or "Treating these model parameter
estimates as known values, the probability that effects with ..."

If you want to better account for the uncertainty in the model parameter
estimates, you could try bootstrapping the probability calculation, similar
to what Mathur and Vanderweele propose in this paper:
Mathur, M. B., & VanderWeele, T. J. (2019). New metrics for meta‐analyses
of heterogeneous effects. *Statistics in Medicine*, *38*(8), 1336-1342.
For a multi-level meta-regression, you would need to do a cluster-level
bootstrap, I think. Another alternative is to move to a fully Bayesian
meta-regression, which would allow for fully integrating the uncertainty
from the model parameter estimates into the probability calculations by
integrating over the joint posterior.

Neither of these proposals is trivial, nor are they something that I would
require if I were reviewing a manuscript with probability calculations like
yours. Like I said, I think they're very helpful as is, especially if their
limitations can be qualified appropriately.

James