[R-meta] Interpreting variance components in rma.mv

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Sun Aug 21 09:23:48 CEST 2022

Dear James,

I appreciate your confirmation. If my models becomes (which I'm considering
at the moment):

rma.mv(yi ~ 0 + cat_mod * time + covariates, random = ~ 1 | study/effect)

and, assuming my variance components are the same (total sd = 0.699), and

At time 0, the estimated means for cat_mod are: cat1: 0.12; cat2: 0.13;
cat3: 0.13
At time 1, the estimated means for cat_mod are: cat1: 0.11; cat2: 0.17;
cat3: 0.18

Then, I will end up using that total sd of 0.699 for the interpretation of
both time 0 mean effects and time 1 mean effects. But is it appropriate to
assume that true effects' dispersion at time 0 and time 1 is exactly the
same (equality of variances across time points)?

Thank you for your time.
Yuhang