[R-meta] Interpreting variance components in rma.mv

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Fri Aug 19 18:20:26 CEST 2022

Hello All,

I have a 3-level meta-regression model with a categorical moderator (3
levels) plus some covariates fit as:

rma.mv(yi ~ 0 + cat_mod + covariates, random = ~ 1 | study/effect)

The means for cat_mod are estimated as: cat1: .27;  cat2 = .33, cat3 = .37

The between-study standard deviation is .548, the within-study standard
deviation is .434, and the total variation in sd unit is .699.

***Question: I wonder whether I can say the following or not?***

"The probability that effects with cat1 characteristic are 0 or larger is:
pnorm(0,.27, .699, lower.tail = FALSE)
> [1] 0.650

with cat2 characteristic are 0 or larger is:
pnorm(0,.33, .699, lower.tail = FALSE)
> [1] 0.68

with cat3 characteristic are 0 or larger is:
pnorm(0,.37, .699, lower.tail = FALSE)
> [1] 0.70
"
Thanks,