[R-meta] rma.mv for studies reporting composite of and/or individual subscales

Wed Nov 24 19:07:20 CET 2021

Not sure what X1 is, but yes, this could be a plausible model, allowing for different within-study variances for 'subscale' versus 'composite' estimates.

>Regardless, one possible downside to the subgroup model in my data is
>that it becomes a bit subjective how to treat studies that both
>provide separate subscales and one composite subscales results. One
>can use only their subscales and exclude their composite part or vice
>versa. Thus, such subjectivity may have a bearing on the results of
>the model estimates for each subgroup depending on how one treats (c)
>studies referenced in my first email.

Sure, but excluding studies that only report a composite is also a subjective decision.