[R-meta] multivariate meta-analysis assuming the correlation

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Nov 6 21:25:25 CET 2021

Dear Filippo,

The rho argument in the rma.mv() function has to do with with correlation
between the *true* effects specified via the first ~ inner | outer term in
the `random` argument (a modeling assumption). Except for certain cases,
one may use the rho argument for model comparison purposes.

The (block diagonal) var-covariance matrix input via the V argument carries
the var-covariance between the *observed* effect size estimates due to the
overlapping participant information in the individual studies included in
the meta-analysis (a data reality).

So, these are two different types of correlation. If, for each study, you
construct the V matrix the way you showed, then you have assumed that the
correlation among observed effects is constant in all studies leading to a
compound symmetry structure for the var-covariance matrix for observed
effect size estimates in each study.

Kind regards,
Reza